Fifteen years of change

27 February 2018

This year's Annual Review includes an afterword by Group Chief Executive Simon Lebus in which he reflects on 15 years of change in education and assessment.

Simon writes about how the years since he joined have seen huge growth internationally. In 2002 75 per cent of the Group's then £129 million annual revenue was generated in the UK, while 25 per cent came from our international operations. That is now almost reversed and in the year covered by the Annual Review, less than 20 per cent of our £413 million revenue came from the UK, with the remaining 80 per cent derived from international sources. Simon says that two trends have driven this: continued growth in demand for English language learning (Cambridge Assessment is one of the two largest English language testing organisations globally) and huge demand for schools that offer an international, English-medium curriculum.

Simon also talks about how we have invested heavily in our research effort over the years, thanks to a supportive owner in the form of Cambridge University (we are the only remaining university-owned Awarding Body). He charts the migration to online marking of nearly all our exams and notes how we now deliver several hundred thousand tests a year online. He then goes on to talk about the future, saying that he believes the velocity of change will continue, but that he is convinced that public exams will remain an essential part of most countries' education systems for many years to come.

Read the 2016-2017 Annual Review.


Related links Tes - Long read: 'Hyper-accountability has broken down trust' – lessons from 15 years at the heart of the exams system Media contacts

Contact our press and Public Affairs office

Tel:  +44 (0)1223 556018  Email:

Conference: Questioning Questions

What are the best kind of questions to ask? #CamEdLive

young school girl with her hand in the air to answer a question

Read more

LinkedIn Twitter RSSFeed Youtube The Network Our research Blog Careers Contact us

We are at the forefront of education. We support teachers, schools and governments around the world to unlock the power of education for every learner.

Cambridge Assessment Logo Our exam boards Cambridge Assessment English Cambridge Assessment English Cambridge Assessment International Education Cambridge Assessment International Education Oxford, Cambridge and RSA (OCR) Examinations Oxford, Cambridge and RSA (OCR) Examinations Cambridge Mathematics Cambridge Assessment Admissions Testing


Sitemap Accessibility and Standards Data Protection Privacy Statement on Modern Slavery Terms and Conditions Back to top

Font: Cambridge Assessment


Tags: education
Posted on February 28th, 2018